“Chippy,” as Sean has named him, spends his day watching over Sean and then at night, he flies to the North Pole to tell Santa whether Sean's behavior was good or not-so-good that day. Before morning, Chippy returns to our house and sits himself down in a different spot, so it should be fun for the kids to try to find Chippy in the morning. But sometimes Chippy hasn't moved, which means
I was talking to the mom of one of Sean's friends about the Elf, and she told me that her son positively quakes at the mention of their Elf talking to Santa. It's not quite the same for Sean - when we tell him that Chippy will report any misdeeds to Santa, Sean usually ends up saying something along the lines of “No he won’t! I’m going to hit Chippy on the bottom!!” Scandalized, I tell Sean that Santa won’t be happy about that, to which Sean usually replies, “Chippy won’t tell Santa because I’m going to throw him out the window!” Poor Chippy ... at least Clare thinks he's a "nice baby." But I think Sean is warming up to him - he's been threatening Chippy less and seems more excited to look for him each day.
![]() |
| Getting in a frenzy talking about Chippy! |
In the end, it doesn't really matter who's watching, the best motivator for "good" behavior is the promise of chocolate after dinner from the Advent calendar - seems like that'll work with Clare, too :-)



